Sunday, February 8, 2009

Face the Nation 2/8/09


Either John McCain is realizing he has to do a job as a senator or he doesn't know the presidential election is over because he is going after President Obama's stimulus package in a serious way. Allow me one more joke...John McCain is doing press like his album drops on Tuesday. Well he stopped by Face the Nation to discuss how this economic plan will do nothing for a country. What 4 points did he make and tell me your opinion on each? Remember to BE SPECIFIC.

24 comments:

Leo Agpawa said...

John McCain appeared on Face the Nation and broke the record for most appearances by a single person on the show. He came this week to address issues with President Obama's stimulus package. There were a couple of points that he made about it. He began by saying that “it is the greatest transfer of not only spending but authority and responsibility to government” and that “it has policy changes in it which are fundamentally bad for America”. The message that he was trying to get across was that these are forms of protectionism, which “did not work in any time in our history”. He then stated that we are going to “amass the largest debt in the history of this country and we are going to ask our kids and grandkids to pay for it". Another thing that he said in regards to the package is that “we need tax cuts, we need to spend money on infrastructure and on other programs that will immediately put people to work, but this is not it”. Then he turned to the issue of bipartisanship, and said that “this agreement is not bipartisan. I’ve been in bipartisan agreements. This is three republican senators. Every Republican Congressman voted against it in the House, plus eleven Democrats, and all but three Republicans stayed together on this. That’s not bipartisanship; that’s just picking off a couple of senators”. The last point that he made was that Obama’s administration is working “the way the Bush administration did when we Republicans were in charge. That's the way we did business, but I thought we were going to have change, that change meant we work together." McCain was referring to leaving the opposing party out of negotiations, and claims that Obama hasn’t provided change in this area.

It’s hard to say that I have an opinion about what John McCain said on Face the Nation this week because I’ve yet to hear the other side of the story. I need to hear a Democrat, or even president Obama speak on behalf of the proposed stimulus package. However, there are a couple of things that I can say. First off, it is going to be difficult to pass this stimulus, but like Bob Schieffer said, “Even a flawed package would be better than nothing”. I agree. The economy is affecting everybody. The Sausage McMuffin with egg at McDonalds has changed from being $1.00 to $1.19. The sweet iced tea has also gone from $1.00 to $1.50. That’s a sign that things are going bad. When one of the most successful fast food operations has to reduce the dollar menu, you know something is wrong. As for protectionism, if John McCain thinks this is an issue, then he should take it to the Senate floor and justify his argument. The same goes for his claim of Obama not implementing bipartisanship. Say something John! “Fight for what you believe in” is what he used to say, so he should do it. If he wants a better stimulus, then he should suggest one and justify that it is the right package. But like I said, it won’t be easy. I doubt that the stimulus is going to satisfy both Democrats and Republicans in Congress. They’re going to have to compromise, and do it quickly.

Anonymous said...

This week on Face the Nation, Senator John McCain made his 68th appearance on the show. The main topic was the stimulus bill that is going through The House and The Senate. The Stimulus bill passed in The House without 1 republican vote and The President wants more bi partisanship from The Senate.

John McCain can’t agree with the stimulus bill because of 4 reasons. When asked why McCain responded “I can’t because I think it is the greatest transfer of not only spending but authority and responsibility to government.” This statement I think is what Republicans hate, big government. They hate spending on domestic issues. I’m not sure if this is 100% true, I just remember from Sarah Palin always saying “government stay out of my way”, or something like this. He added, "I think it has policy changes in it which are fundamentally bad for America. For example, their ‘Buy America’ provision: that’s protectionism, and that did not work in any time in our history”. I don’t know why “buy America” wouldn’t work. If you buy American made cars then we wouldn’t have to bail out the auto industry, or if you buy anything America, I don’t see how it could hurt. But since John McCain is old I’m sure he’s been around when the last time we bought America. Generational theft is what he called this stimulus plan. He said he could not support the package as-is because of the debt it would create for America. “We are going to amass the largest debt in the history of this country and we are going to ask our kids and grandkids to pay for it," said McCain. I understand that a stimulus package is going to put America in debt, but if it’s needed then what else can we do. The younger generation has to pay for a lot, money wise and environmental wise. Finally John McCain talked about the bi-partisanship not going on in Congress. “I think from the beginning when the Speaker of the House [Pelosi] said, 'We won, so we're writing the bill,' that set the stage," McCain said. Targeting Democrats in Congress and the White House, McCain said, "In the interest of full disclosure, that's the way the Bush administration [operated] when we Republicans were in charge. That's the way we did business, but I thought we were going to have change, that change meant we work together?” John McCain’s statement just shows that he’s not trying to work together. He should reach out to other Republicans and make them work with other Democrats, since he is a “maverick”.

Its Aubrei said...

John McCain was back on Face the Nation, once again, to talk about how he had a problem with the economic plan that President Obama had come up with. He stated a few reasons that he did not support the plan as written. Reason one being that he believes the plan will create more American debt. Reason two was stated like,"I can’t Bob. I can’t because I think it is the greatest transfer of not only spending but authority and responsibility to government."
He stated reason three as "I think it has policy changes in it which are fundamentally bad for America." And his reason four was the most puzzling of all, he said that he can only decribe the plan as a "generational theft."

Personally I think that he's just scared that Obama's plan may work where as the bailout he supported didn't. I think he is trying to soak up his last few minutes of fame before he is shut out yet again.

Amber said...

With his appearance on this week's Face the Nation, John McCain made it clear that he doesn't support Obama's stimulus package. He stated that he couldn't support the package because: this would be "the greatest transfer of not only spending but authority and responsibility to government, it would be a much larger measure than any taken during the Great Depression, it includes policy changes that are bad for America, and mostly, it is described as a generation theft."

America is in a huge financial crisis, but this isnt the first crisis ever. McCain said it is the biggest transfer of spending and such that will be given to the government, but seriously... something needs to be done and it will take a lot of money and authority no matter what is decided by congress and the president.

As for his comment on this situation being much larger than the Great Depression, it may be true or close to true. So many jobs have been lost and there are more than likely many more to come. People simply don't have the money to do much. It is hard enough just to put gas in your car to make it to work or school.

Next, McCain said that the package involves changes that are bad for America. Again, I'm not sure exactly what is included in the stimulus package, but how bad can it be when we are in great need of help?

Finally, McCain said that this is a generation theft, and i agree with his statement. Whatever type of package that will be passed that involves money means that we, the younger generations, will have to pay that money back through out our lives through taxes i believe. I don't like this thought, but, well, i guess what needs to be done needs to be done.

Anonymous said...

John McCain was interviewed on Face the Nation for the 68th time. He said the he did not agree with the stimulus package because it is was the greatest tranfer of spending, authority, and responsebility of government. He feels the stimulus package is a larger measure than any of the measures that were taken during the great depression. He also says that the stimulus package has policy changes that would be fundamentally harmful to America because they are American provisions, and this has not been successful throughout our history. Finally he said that the only way to describe this situation is generational theft.

During his interview, John McCain said that the stimulus package was not bypartisan because only the Democrats agreed with it. And he said that the system that Obama was using to pass the stimulus package is the same sytem that the Bush Administrion was using, and he said, " and we wanted change". It seemed as if he was still a little bitter about losing the election. Overall, I do not agree with John McCain. Bob Scieffer asked McCain if a stimulus package that is flawed is better than nothing, and that is how I feel. We need something to change even if it is slow, but if the Congress does not pass anything, then things are goinng to get worse.

Anonymous said...

I retrieved four major points on this week's face the nation about obamas upcoming stimulus going into effect on tuesday that mccain made. He stated that he believed the policy changes in it which are fundamentally bad for America. He also said that it was generation theft something that americas children and grangchildren will have to pay for later down the road. He also expressed the fact that this stimulus didnt comply with bi-partisanship. Last but not least he talked about that later in the future it wont help our economy but rather make a decrease in our already unstable economy.

It was clear that mccain was completely against this stimulus. Even it was the best one produced he just came off as a sore loser and was going to find something wrong with it if he had to. I do think that it is good and that it follows the fundamentals of america. When it comes to the generation theft, our parents just had to pay to bailout all these companies why cant be do the same were paying taxes regardless i dont think it would be a major difference than in the guidelines if what generations are doing today. He mentioned that some econimist say that it will decrease our economy down the riad but as many that are saying it will theres still some saying it wont so whos to say. As far as it being bipartisan people disagree all the time it passed so it cant be that bad !

Anonymous said...

The first point that McCain made regarding the stimulus package is "the greatest transfer of spending and authority and responsibility to government." McCain also said that the stimulus is "massive" and is "much larger than any measure taken during the Great Depression."
I agree that this stimulus is very big and raises the caution flags. With something this big, commanding this much taxpayer money, it needs to be perfect. And some economists think that this stimulus isn't ideal for our current situation.
McCain then made other points. He said that this package has policy changes in it "which are fundamentally bad for America", including protectionism. He described this package as generational theft, because future generations are going to pay for it. Their is a supplemental to pay for the war, and we will have a $1.2 trillion deficit. I agree that policy changes are fundamentally bad. The economic crisis really helped Obama capture the presidency. His plan during his campaign is what Americans wanted, and now there are policy changes in it. It is fundamentally wrong, but you don't know if it will be detrimental or beneficial to the economy.

Yesenia said...

On his 68th appearance, John McCain provided four reasons to say no to Obama's Stimulus package. First was that it was the greatest transfer of spending and authority and responsibility to government. Second was that it is massive and much more spending than in the great depression. Third, was that it includes policy changes and a "by America" provision. In our history this never worked. Fourth was that this leads to generational debt. There is a new tart on the way and that we are asking our kids and grand kids to pay for it.

Is it me or is John McCain gunning for the President? There was a lot of underlined hostility which provided for great entertainment. McCain discussed the stimulus package negotiations, which to him was the "antithesis of bipartisanship", and mocked that "change" had come to Washington with the recent election. He said that this is how the Bush Administration, we republicans, handled things.(Bitter much?) His first reason, was a little confusing. OF COURSE governments responsibility and spending authority has to increase!! Its not like "Joe the Plumber" should be held accountable. The second reason was equally ridiculous. Although I'm sure John McCain is an expert eye witness (haha!) on how much we spend during the great depression, times change. The fact is living now is much more expensive than it was in the 1930's. His third reason pointing out that policy changes and provisions failures in the past was redundant and I felt like he said this a million times before. His final reason was also redundant. Of course my generation has to pay for the debt caused by the Bush administration. It is reminiscent of the cliche "the children always pay for the sins of their fathers." Who else is going to pull us up by our bootstraps? Certainly not the millions of older salary earning Americans being laid off and replaced by cheap hourly employees.


The best cure for defeat is to get back in there!! ha!

RiCheLe said...

On Face the Nation John McCain explains to Bob Schieffer on reasons why he opposes the stimulus packet that President Obama has created. Four reason is one: because he opposes policy changes, "I think it has policy changes in it which are fundamentally bad for America" two: the debt that will be created will go down to our grandchildren, " (stimulus packet)... can only be described as generational theft" three: protectionism equals failure, " ...protectionism, and that did not work in any time in our history" and four: wants the parties to work together "... I thought we were going to have change, that change meant we work together." After having his own stimulus package rejected on a party line vote, McCain expresses many ways that the new stimulus plans isn’t efficient, but are these reasons valid or just whining?

I think the first reason about opposing policy change can label McCain as McSame, because he isn't open to changing little polices around. Number two is already in consideration because of the situation now, of course the next generation would have to suffer, it’s going to take a lot to get rid of the "generation theft" that was built. Number three the protectionism rejection seems like a republican trait because most republics believe that the government should have less impact on trade. Number four seems to be a cute way to make the democrats look like bullies, whether its true about not working together or not I believe that McCain is a joke at this point.

Anonymous said...

RE: Jasmine

I agree with your comment. McCain came off as a sore loser during the interview. The public voted for Obama because he had a better plan to fix our economy than McCain, but McCain will never realize it.

Anonymous said...

RE: Aubrei
I agree with your comment. Can you believe that it was the 68th time that McCain appeared on Face the Nation. He needs to stop being a sore loser and help support Obama's decisions.

Jessica Santana said...

RE: Jessica

A flawed plan is better than nothing, but if the stimulus plan has too many flaws then although it will help make things better for a while, the resulting complications may actually only make things worse in the long run. I think we should give Congress just a little more time to try and work things out and come up with the best plan possible.

Cindy :) said...

RE: Jasmine

I agree with your comment. I do believe that McCain did came off as a sore loser, but I think we all kind of expected that. He still can't get over the fact that he lost to Obama and even thought Bush's and Obama's plan are very similar he still thinks its not going to work just because Obama is proposing it but I bet that if he had won the presidency he will too be using the same bill with maybe a few minor changes.

Isamar said...

RE: Leo

I agree with you on how you have to hear the other side of the story before you jump into conclusions. Until we know Obama's side of the stimulus package, we cannot agree on what has been said.

Isamar said...

RE: Jasmine

I agree on what you said that McCain is not goin along with the stimulus package. He still is against Obama as if it was elections still. He may have some hatred on Obama, since the elections.

Yesenia said...

Re: Leo

I agree with you and Bob. "Even a flawed package would be better than nothing".

I also agree about the McDonalds Reference. It is SUPER scary to see that McDonalds raised the price of their DOUBLE CHEESEBURGERS to 1.25! This is madness.

But the republicans are SEVERELY outnumbered and therefore should really think outside the box. This isn't about the Bush Administration and how they handled things in the past. WE DONT CARE ABOUT BUSH ANYMORE Like it or not America chose to have this administration seek solutions. Yes we need to focus on these issues. But lets focus on the present intead of the past.

Yesenia said...

Re: Jasmine

I agree with you completely. The fact is there is always going to be something wrong with ANY stimulus package. I'm sure the "New Deal" had a lot of scrutiny when it was first implemented. It is true. Our parents have had to pay those HUGE CEO bonuses that were originally made out to be bailouts. So who cares about generational "whooha!". I'm tired about hearing that their is no bipartisanship. This is the maverick we all know and love. He should "LEAD" the way. HA!
can you sense the sarcasm?
It sounds to me like a bunch of cheerleaders arguing about "he said she said".

Amber said...

Re: Leo Agpawa

Haha, i love the fact that you have noticed raised prices at McDonalds. On the serious side, that really is a bad sign. Like you said, for as big of a fast food place as McDonalds, with raised prices you know that the economy is horrible.

Anonymous said...

Re: Leo

I also think that the stimulus will not satisfy both Republicans and Democrats, but something’s have to be given up so that both sides will be happy, unfortunately for the Democrats, they did not achieve the 60 member goal so a situation like this would not happen, relying on republicans for votes. This is what President Obama wants, bi-partisanship, and Congress will need to stop playing old games and focus on the issues that matter.

Anonymous said...

Re: Amber

I to don’t understand the stimulus package. If we are in such a recession, than something is better than nothing. Instead of all these members of Congress fighting and saying things like this is “generational theft” they should explain what should be changed and why, and explain to the American people what is so bad about this stimulus. One major issue that I really don’t understand is the educational part of this. I heard a Republican Senate member saying that there is to much money for education construction, I’m not sure exactly how he said it, but what I don’t understand is, if you build new schools, isn’t it like killing two birds with one stone? 1. Your putting people to work by building schools, and 2. You’re building new schools for the future. I don’t understand this at all.

RiCheLe said...

Re: Aubrei

"Personally I think that he's just scared that Obama's plan may work where as the bailout he supported didn't."

Maybe we are looking this out of context, and maybe John McCain is just being himself. We are talking about a guy that calls himself a "Maverick" I don't think he is doing an act, but just living up to his name.

Leo Agpawa said...

RE: Aubrei

You said that "Personally I think that he's just scared that Obama's plan may work where as the bailout he supported didn't." You may be right Aubrei. Here's my theory: McCain, along with several other Republicans, does not want this stimulus to be successful. Why? Because if it is, it would be an amazing accomplishment to add to president Obama's resume. The Republicans don't want Obama to succeed because then it would be harder for a Republican to beat him for presidency in 2012. It's just a theory though. Maybe McCain really does believe that this stimulus package isn't the right one for our country.

Anonymous said...

RE: Yesenia

I agree that it seemed like McCain was after Obama. I noticed a bitter tone. I think that since this was Obama;s bill McCain will disagree with it.

Anonymous said...

Re: Aubrei

I don't see how McCain would be scared if Obama's plan works. At this point when McCain isn't after votes, I think he would embrace the plan, not fear it.