Well the first week of Meet the Press with David Gregory was packed from end to end with guests and topics. The main topic I want to discuss was the round table concerning the corruption with the governor of Illinois (I'm not even going to try and spell his last name). What are the charges he is facing and how can we make our public officials more accountable in office? Give me a couple topics discussed and your opinion and always remember to BE SPECIFIC!!!!
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Meet the Press 12/14
Well the first week of Meet the Press with David Gregory was packed from end to end with guests and topics. The main topic I want to discuss was the round table concerning the corruption with the governor of Illinois (I'm not even going to try and spell his last name). What are the charges he is facing and how can we make our public officials more accountable in office? Give me a couple topics discussed and your opinion and always remember to BE SPECIFIC!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
In Meet the Press, Governor Blagojevich is being charged of trying to sell Obama's Senate seat to the highest bidder. Ms. Madigan, the state attorney general said that tomorrow there is a possibility that the Governor is going to make an announcement if either will resign or take another option. But the LT. GOV. QUINN said that he hopes he resigns because its the best for the people of Illinois and for himself. Ms. Madigan said that We think it is very clear that he is incapable of serving, according to the information that was contained in the criminal complaint of Patrick Fitzgerald, that was filed on Tuesday. Other charges he is going against is gain campaign contributions for signing laws, refusing to provide Medicaid reimbursement to a significant children's hospital here in Chicago, get an editorial writer at the Trib fired. Plus everything else he has done from here on.
Well i honestly think that he should resign. How can a governor sell a seat to someone who is bidding higher? That really ridiculous that he gets to give the seat to someone instead of the people voting. He should get out of this position before there is anymore trouble that he can get into. Its better to get out now from the drama going on than waiting to see what else he has done come out in public.
This week on Meet The Press, the Round Table discussed Governor Blagojevich's attempt to sell of President Elect Obama's vacant seat in the senate. He is now being charged with corruption for the whole "auctioning off" of the senate seat. Now, peole are talking about holding special elections to find a new senator, which i find is a good idea.
There isn't much we can do to hold these people accountable except send them off to jail. I think that sending Blagojevich off to the slammer is the only way we can demonstrate to all other politicians that it doesn't pay to be corrupt. This whole corrution affair justifies our distrust in government, and it's sad to see that our paranoia was proved to be right.
Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich is being accused of attempting to sell Barack Obama's open senate seat to the highest bidder.They said that it is a strong possibility that tomorrow he will make some kind of announcement about resigning. This scandal could also result in impeachment or a temporary restraining order. The decision is all up to the Illinois state Supreme Court.
When asked about what should be done, Ms. Madigan had this to say: "Well, we are not looking to try to convict him criminally with the pleadings that we brought to the Illinois Supreme Court. We're simply recognizing that these are extraordinary, unprecedented circumstances, and that we need to have a governor who can actually use the powers of that office and governor our state, or else our state becomes paralyzed"
I think that office holders are more often than not "let off the hook" too easily. They usually don't take responsibility and end up not being found to blame. I believe something should be done about this. We need to increase accountability and consequences or these types of scandals are going to keep occurring. I heard somewhere that the governor's predecessor got in trouble for almost the exact same thing. This is exactly what I'm talking about. If the old governor didn't get in too much trouble for it, why would Blagojevich? This needs to change.
On, Meet The Press, the main topic was the scandal of the Governor trying to sell the senate seat of President-elect Obama. The first question went to Ms. Madigan asking if the Governor is going to resign. Ms. Madigan replies, "I don't know if that means he will resign or take another option that's provided under the Illinois constitution where he can voluntarily recognize that there is a serious impediment to his ability to carry out his duties and therefore temporarily remove himself." The Governor is basically trying to find a way to slip out of this predicament in order to try to save himself. Another question asked was about whether or not he would get his paycheck. Ms. Madigan believes that he will be allowed to attain his salary, which is the most important issue that the Governor is worried about.
I believe that the Governor should resign as quickly as possible. I don't see a reason as to why it would take him so long. I also do not believe that he should get the sum of his salary. I think that he should get a portion of it because of the scandal he was trying to run. Lt. Gov. Quinn agrees that he should resign monday and that it would be the best decision for himself, the state of Illinois, and his family. If the Law Suit against the Governor doesn't make it, I believe that he shall still be punished as a criminal whether he is the Governor of Illinois or not, he still committed a crime.
RE: Ryan
I agree with you becuase its not fair he does somethin wrong but still get his salary. Half would be okay but the whole salary is doing to much. He should be punished for what he has done not reward him for it.
RE: Jonathan
I agree with you that they should do something about all the scandals. But what i don't is that he shouldn't get punished like the old governor. The past is done and now is the time to correct the mistakes and pushin him. It will be ridiculous if he does get anyway. It's been done in the past now its time to correct it.
Re: Anyone
I don't think Governor Blagojevich shouldn't receive any money. So far as I know, when you don't demonstrate that you have integrity, if you steal from your work place, you will be fired. Plus that mistake would follow you where ever you go to get a new job. For a governor to think that he can get away is despicable.
RE: Isamar
I totally agree with your opinion. Governor Blagojevich needs to resign before things get worse for him. Ms. Madigan and LT. GOV. Quinn both say that it would be in his best interest to resign for the sake of his family, state, and the and himself. The longer he stays in the "drama" the more it will drive him deeper into a hole.
RE: Jonathan
I agree with your point of view. Government officials tend to get away with things a lot more and/or punished with leniancy. Usually, if the official commits a minor crime, they got off with a slap on the wrist; however, if a plain American citizen were to do the same, they would be punished much more severly. Just because officials have power doesn't mean they are not subject to the same laws as everyone else. Talk about equality in rights.
Re: Jonathan
Bidding off a senate seat is just rediculous. Governor Blagojevich should definately face some type of consequences for this action. Just because people are richer and/or higher up in power doesnt mean that they should be let off the hook. If they get away with things then there are going to be more corruptions in the government.
RE: Brenda
I agree that sending those people to jail is the perfect idea, but they probably have the money to bail themselves out so there really is no point in wasting the time and effort of putting them in jail. Even if they didn't bail themselves out, they probably have somebody of equal power that they can bribe or blackmail into getting them out. It really is sad that our distrust in government officials has proven to be right.
Re: Ryan and Jonathan
Totally, why should a governor get a portion of his salary? He not only should resign, he should be prohibited from working in any governmental job (that includes being a post man).
RE: Isamar
When I said "If the old governor didn't get in too much trouble for it, why would Blagojevich? This needs to change.", I meant that he shouldn't be let off the hook. I mentioned the previous governor to reinforce that Blagojevich should have learned from his predecessor's mistake. None of these politicians should be allowed to break laws and get away with it.
RE: Brenda
I also think that the best way to make an example of the corrupt politicians would be to ACTUALLY punish them. Jail seems like the most obvious solution. I think one of the main reasons people distrust the government so much is because of these scandals. Political scandals have become quite common, and until this changes, neither will the people's distrust.
RE: BRENDA
I also agree that holding special elections to find a new senator is a good idea. The government positions are not something someone can buy it is something that it is gained by the trust of the people and what they have done to better this country but I think that most of this politicians have forgotten about it and it has all come down to a matter of who has the most money, which I think it's ridiculous. I think this is a good example of why voting rates have gone down in the past years and why people don't believe in the government anymore.
Post a Comment